Walking and cycling statistics, England: 2019
The latest statistics on walking and cycling in England have been released for 2019. This statistical release is based on two main sources, the National Travel Survey and the Active Lives Survey.
The results show that:
- people made an average of 332 walking stages and walked an average of 205 miles
- people on average have walked less than the previous year, after increasing in recent years
- people made an average of 17 cycling trips and cycled an average of 54 miles
- people cycled 41% further compared to 2002
- 71% of adults in England reported walking at least once a week
- nearly all (98%) local authorities had at least 60% of their adult population walking at least once a week
- 11% of adults in England reported cycling at least once a week
- in most local authorities (96%) less than 20% the adult population reported cycling at least once a week.