Who is this course for?
This course is ideal for anyone with a responsibility for promoting healthy lifestyles and working with individuals either one-to-one or in groups, for example:
- weight management specialists
- health visitors
- drug and alcohol workers.
The course is based on the concept of solution focused practice, which is refreshing as it focuses on helping individuals discover how to achieve their goal(s) rather than trying to fix the problem(s) that they may currently have. This approach treats the patient/client as the expert on their own life. Practitioners ask questions to help them begin moving towards the future they want and make positive changes in their lives.
This course explores how practitioners can ask the questions that really get to the heart of the issue and come up with creative ways to help people find their own solutions.
At the end of the course participants should be able to:
- identify opportunities for using solution focused practice to deliver on key health improvement priorities
- distinguish between the problem-solving and the solution-building paradigm
- develop some solution focused assumptions and questions
- explain the importance of working towards an individual’s ‘best hopes’
- describe the patient or client’s role in generating their own solutions to their problems
- identify how to highlight and measure the patient or client’s progress towards their goals.
For further information on the timings and format of the course, download the sample course programme below.
Locally hosted courses
This course can be hosted at a venue to suit you anywhere within the UK mainland. The course consists of a full day (6½ hours) tutor led session, with a mixture of theory-based and practical activities.
The cost of this course is £1,650. It can be run for a maximum of 25 participants but will require at least 10. The cost of venue hire, refreshments and local promotion are to be covered by the hosting organisation.
If you would like to commission a promoting health behaviour change course in your area please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01509 226418. Bespoke options are available on request, please get in touch to discuss your needs.