At the National Centre for Sport and Exercise Medicine we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy explains when and why we collect personal information about you, how we use it, how we keep it safe and secure and your rights and choices in relation to your information.
Any questions regarding this policy and our privacy practices should be sent by email to email@example.com
How do we collect information from you?
We obtain information from you in the following ways:
Information you give us directly
For example, we may obtain information about you when you take part in one of our events, purchase products and services or when you register to receive one of our newsletters.
When you visit this website
We, like many organisations, automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the type of device you’re using, the IP address, browser and operating system being used to connect your computer to the internet. This information may be used to improve the services we offer.
- information about your visit to this website, for example we collect information about pages you visit and how you navigate the website, i.e. length of visits to certain pages, products and services you viewed and searched for, referral sources (e.g. how you arrived at our website).
We collect and use anonymous information by using cookies on our website – more information can be found under the ‘Cookies’ section further below.
When you interact with us on social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter we may obtain information about you (for example, when you publicly tag us in a photo). The information we receive will depend on the privacy preferences you have set on those types of platforms.
What type of information is collected from you?
The personal information we collect, store and use includes:
- your name
- email address
How and why is your information used?
We may use your information for a number of different purposes, which may include:
- sending you communications which you have requested and that may be of interest to you (e.g. weekly physical activity bulletin or quarterly NCSEM newsletter)
- conducting analysis and market research so we can understand how we can improve our information, services or products
- seeking your views or comments on the services we provide
- notifying you of changes to our services.
Who has access to your information?
We do not sell or rent your information to third parties.
We do not share your information with third parties for marketing purposes.
You have a choice about whether or not you wish to receive information from us. If you no longer want to receive communications from us, you can unsubscribe by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking on the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of an email from us.
You can also change your preferences at any time by emailing email@example.com
Right of access
You have a right to request access to the personal data that we hold about you. You also have the right to request a copy of the information we hold about you, and we will provide you with this unless legal exceptions apply.
If you want to access your information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
We use different types of cookies for a variety of reasons, to:
- make the website work as you’d expect
- remember your preferences during and between visits
- collect anonymous data that helps improve the website
- highlight relevant information to you via our online marketing activities.
How to opt out of or block cookies
You can restrict or block cookies by adjusting your browser’s settings. Doing so however can limit the functionality of our website. Please check your browser’s help guide on how to do this. Websites such as www.allaboutcookies.org provide further information on how to opt out of or block cookies.
Types of cookies we use
We use Google Analytics to monitor visitor behaviour to help us improve the user experience and the online services we offer. The data collected is anonymised and cannot be used to identify you personally.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites run by other organisations. This policy applies only to our website‚ so we encourage you to read the privacy statements on the other websites you visit. We cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of other websites even if you access them using links from our website.
Changes to this policy
Any changes we may make to this policy in the future will be posted on this website so please check this page occasionally to ensure that you’re happy with any changes. If we make any significant changes we’ll make this clear on this website.
Review of this policy
We keep this policy under regular review. This policy was last updated in June 2018.